Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Real Grown Up?

Every now and then I feel like I am really an adult. I mean, I know, everyone is technically an adult at 18, but then you go to college where your parents still do a lot of taking care of you (financially, emotionally, sometimes unwontedly). Then, the first year or so out of college, you’re the youngest person at your job, you still have friends in college and probably aren’t making enough money at this first job to really outgrow the cheap beer and ramen soup college-days habits. So, the transition to being a real adult really goes from about 18 to 24.

So I’ve spent the last two years out of college doing some serious growing up and all of a sudden, I feel like a real adult. Two things last week brought me to this conclusion:

1. Skiing
2. Traveling for work

I just feel very grown up having booked a ski weekend with my girl friends for February. I feel like it is something characters on TV do and I used to thing, wow, that’d be cool to do one day. And the day is here; it isn’t going to be a glamorous trip (5 people in a condo for 4! Hello air mattress!), but we have the time off of work, the money to split accommodations, and the good group of friends to go with. The only un-adult part of the trip for me is that I have never skied and am nervous for the beginner lesson and bunny slopes. But that’s okay, overcoming my fear of skiing is very mature of me.

The other adult moment is traveling for work. It just sounds so important to say “I’ll be out of town on business”. Plus, it is exciting because in Advertising, you usually have to earn your stripes in order to get to travel, so part of the grown up aspect of the situation is that I worked my butt off and it is showing. I’m excited about that. I’ll be in LA for about a week working on a print shoot and TV shoot. Don’t want to post all the details all over the world wide web (you never know who is reading!) but suffice it to say, it is going to be fun, very busy, and pretty cool.

Other things that make me feel more adult: Britney Spears has been famous for 10 years, I have friends getting married, I have friends from high school having babies, when my sister was age- she was pregnant. Crazy.

I’m now declaring my 25 year old self a grown up.

1 comment:

  1. You're having quite a year for new things, and it's only January--good for you!

    Evan's teacher is going to put Paul the Penguin in the mail today, so maybe he'll even have a plane trip to LA to talk about when he gets back. Thanks again for helping Evan with his project!

    ReplyDelete