Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Meal Planning/Food for the Week

I've been really good the last month to six weeks (and probably longer, but I can't remember that far back) about planning my meals for the week, making one trip to the grocery store on Sunday and prepping lots of fresh fruits and veggies so that there is no excuse not to eat them. The plan helps me not waste food, usually that happens when there are too many leftovers and not enough time to eat them, as well as eat better- if you have food at home to make, takeout or frozen food isn't as appealing. I know...this is all common sense, but it helps me get my act together.

The funny thing though is that I really only make my plan from Sunday dinner to Thur lunch. After that, I usually don't know what is going after work, with friends, etc. And the weekend often has at least one meal out with friends, sometimes two, and sometimes takeout and a movie.

The other funny thing is that the weekly meal plan usually has the same few dishes over and over. If I have a package of english muffins, I'm having english muffin toast every morning. Made a big batch of pasta; pasta for lunch every day. I used to marvel at my mom who would eat the same healthy foods for breakfast and lunch and I thought it seemed boring. This was when I was in high school and college though and there were soooo many choices of things to eat, including having the ability to go virtually anywhere for food. I guess this is a sign that I've really grown up since I not only have the same thing over and over, but I've planned it that way. Also, a hazard of living alone and cooking for 1.

I'm sure this is boring to most, but in case you're curious, here's my food plan for the week:

Sun: southwestern chicken pasta (only planned dinner)
Mon: whole wheat flat bagel, yogurt with strawberries and blackberries, southwestern chicken pasta, cucumbers, radishes, watermelon, salmon and roasted asparagus
Tue: whole wheat flat bagel, yogurt with strawberries and blackberries, southwestern chicken pasta with cucumbers and asparagus, peanut butter crackers (pre-tennis snack), panini and watermelon
Wed: whole wheat flat bagel, yogurt with strawberries and blackberries, southwestern chicken pasta with watermelon and cucumbers, panini and pretzels
Thur: whole wheat flat bagel, yogurt with strawberries and blackberries, maybe pasta for lunch...TBD, may be sick of it, alumni event for drinks/appetizers

I'm bored just typing all of that so kudos to you if you read through it all and even more so if you thought, yum. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment