But there is something about women who live alone that people don't realize. You have to do everything around the house alone:
I finally got a new rug for my living room; I was shopping/looking for about 3 months and found a rug at Crate and Barrel in Costa Mesa over Christmas about to be discontinued. Nothing like being totally relaxed on vacation and then knowing there are only 20 in the country left to help me narrow 3 months of shopping down to a purchase. So, the rug came yesterday, I hit Home Depot on the way home from work for a rug pad and I was ready to go.
Putting down the rug pad was nice and easy, stuck it in place and then started to heave and unroll the rug. Of course, the unrolling messed up the rug pad, so there was some additional lifting and positioning of the rug.
Then, I had to lift the couch little bits at a time to get the rug underneath the couch. The lifting wasn't too terrible because I was just putting a couple of inches under the couch and I was pleased with how the rug looked.
Then, after a couple hours of watching TV, eating dinner, and looking at the rug, I decided that I want more of it under the couch and closer to the wall, to show off more wood floor up by the TV. So, like any rational woman who lives alone, I start pushing and shoving the couch off of the rug so that I can reposition the carpet and then move the couch back.
It wasn't as smooth sailing as I envisioned. The logic of lifting and sliding the couch, and the angles to do so was correct, but really required it 2 people to move both the rug and the couch. However, once you move everything into awkward places and then realize the rug is too heavy for you to lift or roll, you just improvise in order to get the living room back together.
The happy ending of the story is that I now have a rug I really like in a position I really like. The moral of the story is Friday night at 10pm, alone, is not really a good time to move furniture. But...at least the heavy lifting is better for me than hagen daz.
Check out the new look:

The colors aren't great in these, but after all the work in moving the furniture, I was too lazy to use my camera and just took these on my phone and emailed to myself.

Amen to having to do everything around the house yourself. But what you failed to mention is that you don't just have a couch; you have a sofa bed, which easily weighs about five times that of a couch! And I challenge you to find anyone (woman or man) who can easily move one of those suckers without help!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, love the rug, congrats on the purchase, and so excited that it seems this site is finally allowing me to post comments to your entries!