So one of the only things I really carve out time for and make sure I leave work with plenty of time for is book club. There is something so fun about getting together with other young women to chat about books, movies, work, and everything else imaginable. I think why it is really fun is because it isn't my usual group of friends, so there are new points of views and stories on life, current events, and of course, books.
I hosted the group at my apartment tonight; we thought it would be a nice change of pace from crowding a bunch of chairs around one table at Starbucks or a wine bar. I discovered a new fake out dessert that was so delicious, I'm totally making it again. Basically, you put 10 or so chocolate chips on a crescent roll before rolling it up and then bake as usual; it is basically a chocolate croissant. I sprinkled them with powdered sugar right out of the oven and served warm, they were delicious.
Our last book we read was Old Filth, which was an interesting book about a British lawyer who had success outside of London following WW2, Filth stands for "failed in London, Try Hong Kong". I don't know if I'm really recommending the book (def not to the degree I'm recommending the chocolate crescents) but it was really interesting.
For this next month, we are reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I don't know if it would be my first choice, but it looks interesting. Plus, part of my reason for being in book club is to expand my reading options and try things I wouldn't otherwise read. Since I have a couple of cross-country plane rides coming up, I figure that's a good one to read on the plane.
Not all the books we read are favorites, but here is my list of books out of nearly 2 years of book club I highly recommend: Loving Frank, The Time Traveler's Wife, Digging to America, Interview with a Vampire, Revolutionary Road, The Namesake, Balzac and the Little Chinese Princess and the unofficial book club book (because we've all read it, but not officially for the club) The Other Boyelyn Girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you like Revolutionary Road? I'm kind of interested in reading it before seeing the movie.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the list of recommendations, I am always looking for new things to read, but never have the time to join a book club!
ReplyDelete