Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday in the Park

Today we went ice skating in Central Park. I've never actually been ice skating and for the 4 years in Boston and the last 2 winters in New York, I've avoided it for fear of falling, the cold, the money to spend to slip and fall on the ice.

But today, I tried it out- I was very nervous but also excited, we had a 6 person group and were ready to take on the tourists in the park.

The great news is, I didn't fall. No one in our group did, and if they had, it wouldn't necessarily be because of their skating skills, but rather the skills of everyone around us. I wasn't super fast or steady, but once I got the hang of it, I could move easily at the pace of the crowd and didn't create an ice hazard. Some of the clumsy skaters and children were a hazard.

I really enjoyed skating and will go again this winter, though probably to a different rink, both to save money and check out the others in the city. I'm pushing for the Natural History Museum Polar Bear rink!

After skating we went to get beers and snacks, and were able to catch part of the football game. It really was a perfect January Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Nice update and a lot of clever ideas here - keep it up. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you gave it a shot--you did much better than my first attempt in high school! I was bruised from hip to toe for weeks, but I still enjoy it :-) Evan did an ice skating camp last week, so next we see you it might be a good outing!

    ReplyDelete