Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Well Heeled

I don't wear heels. The day ballet flats and driving mocs hit the style radar, I may have bought 3 or 4 pairs. My coworkers are forever encouraging that I should work the height and go for heels, but I just can't bring myself to do it. There are a few simple reasons for this:

It is not good to walk around NYC in heels; it hurts my feet, the shoes get worn down, and it isn't that safe for navigating construction sites, subways, and grates on the ground.
I'm 5'11"- enough said. Okay, maybe not, but ultimately, I don't like to tower over everyone when we're out at the bar, going to dinner, at work, etc.
Work- I'd love to be one of those women who has sexy, powerful pumps in her desk drawer to wear in the office. But, I am frequently moving between my office and my clients, many times hurrying for a meeting, so there isn't any practicality to the heels.

Therefore, I love flats and my office allows sandals, nice flip flops, ballet flats, etc.

But, the other day, I saw a girl wearing low wedge heels that looked a lot like my favorite flats. Sure enough, same brand. I bought a pair on the spot.

When I broke out the wedges I work, no one noticed. I called my coworkers out on not noticing after all the encouragement and this is the conversation that followed:

SM: That just proves our point that you aren't that tall and should wear heels.
AL: Don't you have those same shoes in flats? I didn't notice them.

There really isn't a point to this story except that it is funny and I am trying a bit harder to wear low heels since people are encouraging, but I am still all about comfort and practicality when navigating the cement jungle.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...I love that you called them out on not noticing and they used it against you. Especially AL's comment about them being the same shoes with a heel!

    ReplyDelete