A lot of friends and family whose blogs I follow are super organized when it comes to dinners and have meal plans for either the month or the week. Because I live alone and cooking for one isn't always something to be excited about or organized about, my food planning is a little less structured. And if I make a meal Sunday night, it'll usaully last me in leftovers at least until Tuesday.
However, I still love to cook (and eat) and have shared many cooking tales here. A couple of weeks ago while cleaning my apartment, I found all sorts of recipes I've clipped from magazines, printed from online, or tagged on the epicurious app on my iPhone. I sorted through them and kept only the things I think I will really make and decided that my goal is to make one new recipe a week. It doesn't have to be a fancy recipe or an entree, but just something new to try. I'll plan to include the new recipe in my weekly food so that I'm still organized and not resorting to takeout or ice cream for dinner (at least, not as often).
Additionally, I decided to copy one of my mom's great ideas. She bought a recipe book at Hallmark and put in all of her "tried and true" recipes so that the book is the go-to of successful, frequently made dishes. I have my favorite soup recipes, my signature cookie recipes and a lot of my mom's best dishes in my new "recipe bible."
Last week's new recipe was Weight Watchers Zero Points stuffed mushrooms and they were fabulous! They worked well for the Superbowl, but its a good healthy appetizer to keep in mind for other parties and get togethers.
This week's new recipe: peanut butter chocolate swirl cheesecake. I'll let you know how it goes...looks like there's a lot of labor involved, but today is a chocolately kind of day so it's worth it.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teresa, it's like you were reading my mind! I had this discussion with Chuck last night, ever since he moved into his own place he lives on fruit and yogurt and I was gently encouraging him to branch into some of the other food groups. I have been trying three new things each month as an opportunity to branch out on what I can eat, but I encouraged him to try cooking one meal a week! If you have any ideas or suggestions I would be happy to pass them along :-) hope all is well up north!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great idea! Maybe I should motivate myself to do the same...but baby steps. Thanks for sharing the epicurious app. I'm totally downloading that right now! :-)
ReplyDeleteIs there someone other than me that plans a month out? Or are you just trying to make me feel better? :-)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your food adventures--I know you are not trying to be a food blog, but I do have a couple of your posts bookmarked under my 'Recipes' category! And I could still piece together the buffalo wing dip for Superbowl even though we couldn't get to the store because of the snow!