Monday, May 24, 2010

Mmm Cake

You may have noticed that lately, I haven’t really blogged about food or cooking. I know food isn’t the feature of this blog, but I like sharing my triumphs (and defeats) a few times a month. There’s a reason for this and I hope to be able to share the full story in about a week. Sorry, I know that’s annoying, but now that I’ve planted the seed, I promise to follow through.

However, I have to share about my two favorite pans in my kitchen: the springform and the bundt. Seriously, only good things come out of these pans. I can’t imagine not baking with them.

Yesterday I made a lovely spring/summer cake in my trusty springform pan. I’ve decided that summer cakes (like the nectarine cake and the cherry claflouti) are awesome. The two keys are to keep them simple and bake on a day that isn’t too hot or you’ll die (either from the heat or the electric bill after running the AC). I’ve also found that I like the fruit theme in these cakes, not that I don’t like chocolate in summer, but it’s not as appealing as it is in say February.

Here’s the recipe for my latest summer cake. It's from Smitten Kitchen who I love! I put some in the freezer hoping it’ll hold up nicely since I don't need a whole cake to eat in a week. And it really needs a sauce. I made a raspberry because I had some frozen and the fresh ones were on sale (pureed the frozen and added the fresh for a nice touch) but I’m sure any fruit or sauce would do. My plan for later in the week is to try sliced sugared strawberries and a touch of whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment