Okay, so I know it isn't Tuesday, but I play tennis Tuesday nights and that's where this story begins.
In late November of 2008, I signed up for adult tennis lessons because the summer before, my friends were playing tennis and as much as I tried to join in, I had not retained any tennis skills from the brief lessons in junior high PE. They said I couldn't play with them until I took lessons (they said this nicely) So I joined the USTA in Flushing Queens, where the US Open is held, to start in adult level 1 classes.
However, almost 2 and a half years later, I have made sooooo much progress. For the fall 2009 session, I moved myself up to Level 2. Then I was self-conscious about being "that girl" who brings the level of the class down by not playing well, but I can totally hold my own, even playing with more men now. Now, I'm not trying to brag nor will you be seeing me play in the US Open but people who know me know that I'm not really a sports-playing person. Before I started, I bought a racket and tennis skirt and my mom's comment was, "at least you'll look cute in case you're not that good." Yikes! (but kind of true- I have liked some sports outfits better than the actual playing of sports).
My parents were great when we were kids and let us try all sorts of activities, I recall doing ballet, then gymnastics, then back to ballet, plus jazz and tap. I also briefly dabbled in basketball (because I was tall), tried out for volleyball and cheerleading (didn't make either). I also tried guitar lessons and flute lessons since athletic activities weren't sticking. I did do one tennis camp as a kid, but I remember not being very good and also not really enjoying the sport playing part of the camp. But finally, I found my hobby!
Anyway, I've really gotten into tennis, love the program in Queens and everyone at work knows that I have a hard stop on Tuesdays because it's Tennis Tuesdays! I just think that it is great to be able to try something new at any age because you never know what is going to click.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment