Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Sunday Supper

This past weekend I decided that I was going to ignore the heat wave and prepare a nice dinner with dessert and invite some friends over. The original idea was to make a blueberry pie and then do cheese, crackers, and other snacky food. But then I thought that wasn't much of an offer for friends coming over, including one girl coming in from Brooklyn.

So I decided to add a Spanish twist and make sangria and gazpacho. I christened my Cuisinart Food Processor with the gazpacho. I bought this probably in late April as a treat to myself. I had originally flagged a food processor as a wedding registry item. As in, something I don't need bad enough so I can wait and get it as a wedding present (someday). But since I'm not getting married anytime soon (but again, someday) and when the Bloomingdale's home sale had the 11 cup for $99, it was a done deal.

I continued my Spanish theme with some sangria. Sometimes sangria can be too boozy and potent but I have found a mild recipe I like a lot. I'm thinking of calling it Sunday Sangria, as in, you can drink it Sunday night and still make it to work bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday.

Sunday Sangria:
1 bottle Chardonnay
3/4 cup peach schnapps
6 tablespoons frozen lemonade
1 nectarine, sliced
1 granny smith apple, sliced

Mix all together in pitcher, let sit for a few hours, serve over ice. We like to top each glass with some champagne as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment