My Monday morning began with the bathroom light burning out. I made my way from the alarm clock to the bathroom, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, eager to brush my teeth and click the coffee pot on. Instead, when I flipped the switch, the light flickered and burned out.
Ugh... not how i wanted to start my day.
But fortunately, I happened to have moved the light bulbs in the linen closet last night to a more prominent place, so it was actually pretty quick and easy to remove the sconce, replace the bulb and get my day started. Though if the universe is going to grant me fortune, I'd much rather it come in the shape of a lottery ticket or a dream guy than moving light bulbs...
The unexpected bulb burnout got me thinking though- in an age of digital and rechargeable devices, you hardly ever get caught with something unexpectedly not working. My phone shows the exact percentage of battery it has left (same as the iPad), I know about how many hours I can use the Kindle without worrying about a recharge and I always charge up my camera battery before a trip.
Remember the days when you'd be somewhere touristy buying batteries for the camera? Or bargaining with your sister in the back seat of the car for discman batteries because yours died already? I'm very glad we can generally predict and keep track of when things will "die" but it does make batteries and light bulbs feel a little old fashioned.
Monday, March 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment