I went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic tonight in a preview screening courtesy of Daily Candy. I have known about this movie for a while and didn't plan to see it in the theater because I felt it wouldn't be worth the $12.50 to see a movie in NYC. [and yes, that is really how much it is....insane!] But at the chance to see it free, and prior to the release, I was there.
I am a longtime fan of the adventures of the Shopaholic, AKA Becky Bloomwood. The original book, Confessions of a Shopaholic is so funny and cute, I've re-read it a few times and will re-read it now that it is top of mind with the movie out. The character is likable even though she has one crazy scheme after another up her sleeve. The franchise expanded, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've read them all. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan was equally as good as Confessions, then Shopaholic Ties the Knot was pretty silly but still cute, Shopaholic and her Sister was AWFUL, but dear Sophia Kinsella brought back some of the lovable Becky in Shopaholic Has a Baby. Anyway, I digress....the movie:
The movie was cute and entertaining, though occasionally a little dumb. The story was different from the books but kept the likability of quirky Becky. She is a financial journalist who is being hounded by debt collectors because she is a total shopaholic, on credit cards no less. Part of me had a hard time watching her swim in debt and be so into designer wear when the economy is so not funny right now. But at the same time, we all can relate to temptation and she didn't really come off as greedy. There were some character developments missing; like Becky's unfashionable yet apparently independently wealthy roommate. I happen to know her back story from the books, but if you watched the movie, you'd be confused as to what Suze does/is. And it's too bad because she is a great character in the books and is very 1 dimensional in the movie.
If you are in need of an entertaining chick flick, I recommend seeing. If you are saving your money for a new pair of boots without worrying about the debt collectors, I say wait to rent. :) But you will laugh and smile for sure.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for saving me from dragging Chuck to see it :-) I love the Shopaholic Books, and was really excited for the movie, but I'll just wait for it on DVD!
ReplyDelete