So here is the second part of skiing! This shot shows my hesitation but also the intense level of concentration on the slopes. It was also taken on the first day of skiing, my first trip down the mountain after ski school after I'd already fallen because I couldn't slow down. Just trying to defend myself against the lameness of my action shot.
Whenever I told people I was learning to ski, they said all you have to remember is Pizza/Fries. Because you make a pizza wedge with your skis to slow down/stop when you are first learning and then you should ski and turn like fries (skis parallel). I actually didn't really ski a lot in the fry position, but I did okay with the pizza.
Here's the whole group at the end of skiing on Sunday, it was a successful trip; everyone skied about as much as they wanted and the only injury we had out of the 5 of us was Kate's bruised toe because she had one boot that was too small on Saturday. And that mountain behind us in the picture; I skiied down it multiple times!
For a long time, I thought I didn't want to ski. For the most part, I was too scared and thought having already had knee surgery, it wasn't the sport for me. But when your friends all ski and want to plan a trip, you either try something new or miss out on the fun. I am really glad I tried it and will try to get better. I don't think I'll ever become a serious skier aiming for double black diamond trails, but I'll be on the 2nd Annual Killington trip next year. And I have great friends who let me move at my super slow ski pace and helped me learn.

No comments:
Post a Comment