I hate to be wrong about things. I love to be right. I mean, most people probably feel this way. But I am terrible about reading and pronouncing things correctly so I have to admit being wrong. I am an avid reader but the laws of grammar that make vowels long or short and hard or soft must be lost on me.
Last weekend I asked my family if they had read the article in Reader's Digest about the people who run the Snoops website. Yes, I said Snoops, like a person who is nosy. Picture Nancy Drew snooping and sleuthing. To me, this makes perfect sense. The website exists to debunk Internet myths.
The response, of course, was "snopes?" What? Snopes does not make sense for a name of a website that snoops.
But it is funny that I was so sure I was right, even though a room full of people and grammar rules tell me otherwise. Below are some other words I have struggled with in the past. The correct word is on the left, how I chose to pronounce it follows. I can laugh at myself which is why I am sharing. :)
Gubernatorial election = gubernational
Mailer Daemon = mailer demon
Snopes = snoops
This list isn't very long but I'm sure my mom remembers more...
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment