Friday, May 29, 2009

NYC, just a small town

When I first moved to New York City from college, I thought that it was a huge city and I knew I'd have to work hard to meet people and find my group. My coworkers at my job had all these stories about how they run into people everywhere and you always know someone and I was in disbelief. My New York felt big and lonely.

After all, NYC has 301 million residents, 1.6 million in Manhattan.

And yet, here I am, a resident for 3 years and I see people all the time. It is both good and bad, but I love it. It makes me feel like I did growing up in small city Bakersfield where you saw people at the grocery store, the movies and you'd stop to say hello.

This past week, I ran into a friend at Penn Station, a coworker on the subway platform, and a friend on the street. These are small things, but they make me feel like NYC is a hometown instead of just a metropolis.

And here's a trivia question for you all, can you name the 5 boroughs that make up New York City? Leave guesses/answers in the comments. I'll give you a hint- Manhattan is one.

1 comment:

  1. So true! That's something very strange about cities...they're just made up of a lot of small towns. It's so neat. :)

    This may be lame, but I only know the boroughs because of Ludacris and "Welcome to Atlanta" -- Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten (uptown, what now, let's make it happen!!) -- Island, and of course the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete