I've been a bookworm for as long as I can remember. I think my real love for reading started when my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Ross, showed me the chapter books in the school library. I had basically read all of the early reader books so she pointed out the Baby Sitters Club books and some others (probably Judy Blume and Boxcar children but I'm not certain). Since then, I don't think I've ever been without a book to read.
Unfortunately, I haven't been as good about the library. In Bakersfield, I read nearly all of the "good" books the local library had to offer and they never had anything new so when I was devouring BSC, Sweet Valley, Nancy Drews...they couldn't keep up. Thus, my book buying began. I remember getting my allowance on Saturday and spending all of it on Sunday at the book store.
Old habits die hard; I've developed a bad habit of buying all sorts of books. In a random airport and see a historical fiction book I'm curious about? I buy it. My favorite author has a new paperback? I buy it and save it for a rainy day (literally). Need one more paperback to get free shipping on Amazon? No problem, there's always a book I have in mind to buy.
But the time has come where I really need to control this. So I think I'm going to ask for a Kindle for my birthday and/or Christmas (so, late Nov/Dec time). There are three main reasons I'm ready to switch to the Kindle:
1. it's cool, it's not going anywhere, it's improved from the first generation
2. I'm out of space in my apartment for books. And there are some in CA I want to bring back here. Even though I try to donate 2 or 3 a month to my building's library or give away to friends, I've filled all of my bookshelfs, my nightstand book slot and have a pile growing on the floor.
3. I'm tired of paying more for hardcovers; all digital books are about the same price with the Kindle.
Yes, I'm a little sad to not have all those glorious books to look at with the cool covers, to loan people, to flip through when looking for a quote or a story I remember. But I think it'll be okay- a little bit of an adjustment, but at the rate I read, I think the Kindle will be perfect.
So my goal is that from now until this winter, I'm going to try to read most of the books I own but haven't read yet. Sure, I'll save a few so that when I want a good old fashioned paperback or a smart hardcover, I'll have them. I think I have about 38 books to read. To be fair, some are from the building library (where you take a book or donate a book) so they were free, a couple I've borrowed from friends, a few my mom has given me. I just wanted to clarify that I don't have 38 books I've purchased but not read. ;)
It's a big goal but I'm excited! And I'm sure there will be updates here and on the blog on my progress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I use paperbackswap.com to help "share" the books that I have read/are finished with. It's nice because you only pay for shipping and then you get a credit for a book that you might like. I normally end up transferring the credits to the swapadvd.com site but it's a great way to pass things on. The only down side is that you have to wait until someone requests the book that you have.
ReplyDeleteAnd don't forget you can transfer credits to/from their DVD and CD swapping sites!! :-)
ReplyDelete