With all the traveling I've been doing this month and the beauty of the iPad, I've been watching a lot of movies. I've been renting new releases through iTunes and watching them on the iPad on buses and planes. The price is less than what it costs to rent through the cable company via on demand and its a great way to pass the time on cross country flights or high traffic bus rides. Here's what I've seen and my thoughts on each:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version)- Good adaptation of the book, which I loved. It was a little different reading subtitles, but everyone I knew who had seen this version said it was great. They are making an English version, but it hasn't even been fully cast yet, let alone started filming, so if you can't wait for more Steig Larsson, I recommend this.
Young Victoria- Great! Made me want to learn more about the Victorian era, loved the clothes. Emily Blunt does a really nice job (a far cry from her snotty role in The Devil Wears Prada) and it was entertaining and uplifting.
She's Out of My League- I don't normally like funny movies that rely on guy humor, gross jokes, etc but this was really funny. It had enough of a story to count as a real movie in my book and since all the main characters work at an airport, it was entertaining to watch on a plane. Nearly everyone in the cast looks familiar but isn't super famous (I IMBDed them to check).
The Good Guy- a movie about dating in New York City in your 20s. I thought this gave a very real look at the NYC dating scene...it wasn't necessarily all happy but it wasn't too depressing either. Unless you are in your 20s dating in New York, I'd say wait for this to be on Lifetime in a few years. Though, Alexis Bledel is the girl (Rory from Gilmore Girls) and she's great in her role.
The Jonses- Demi Moore and David Duchonvy star as the "parents" in a family that isn't really a family but a team hired by a marketing firm to show off new stuff and make people in the town want to buy the stuff. It is an interesting look at conspicuous consumption and shows the fun and downfalls of "Keeping Up With the Jonses". Can't really say this was good or bad; I think interesting sums it up best.
Date Night- I was worried that this would be another stupid funny movie that I'd normally pass on, but again, there was more plot that expected and I was pretty entertained. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are cute and there were moments where I was laughing out loud. This is a good new pick.
At this point, I'm now out of new releases to rent/catch up on but I can't complain, that's what summer is for, right?
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment