Wednesday, September 22, 2010

If A Tree Falls....

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

If you blog and hardly anyone reads it, does it matter?

Every now and then I doubt my reasons for blogging. My original plan was to keep track of and share my experiences living in NYC. Whether they were unique to the city, unique to being in my 20s or just plain unique to me, I wanted to share. And I still enjoy it, very much. I also had a couple of friends and relatives who blogged and I loved being able to keep up on their lives in a format that was longer and more detailed than facebook status updates, but easier than trying to be email pen-pals or catch up on the phone all the time.

But I wonder if I have gotten boring. I still enjoying writing about what I'm up to and actually find it to be a good way to put things in perspective. It's an opportunity to focus my thoughts through the week (and I am trying to be better at posting consistently and often). But is this all just for me? Should I maybe try to just keep a journal and email personally the people who actually read the blog?

And speaking of readers, thank you for being you. I have 15 official subscribers on google reader and I know two people get the blog emailed to them. There aren't a lot of readers, but I think about 7 people read regularly and I'm pretty sure I'm related to 6 of them. One of my friends blogs that I read: 200+ google reader subscribers. Another, 800+ subscribers. And they do the same thing as me, write about their life, their challenges and triumphs. And people leave tons of comments on their posts. What is the difference? And do I really care about number of people reading?

I am going to keep going with the blog but sometimes I feel that my tree has fallen and no one knows if it made a sound. So make a sound- tell me if you like the blog, what you like, if I posted more recipes/cooking adventures, would that be good? Do you want less about me and more about NYC?

1 comment:

  1. I read, I read! I just usually read through the Google Reader and never get outside of it to comment. I do enjoy the stories, recipes, etc.

    I'll try and comment a little more, but I know how you feel. My personal blog is buried in cobwebs, and I even struggle with the picture one from time to time. I wish more people commented, but in the end, the picture blog is mostly for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete