My agency did something really cool yesterday; they had an agency field trip to see The Social Network aka The Facebook movie. It was fun to leave the office and get a private screening with my coworkers. I also really enjoyed the movie.
It's funny, I remember clearly when I first heard about Facebook- I was a sophomore in college, read about it in the student newspaper and recall sitting at my desk signing up. It was only open to the Ivies and Boston-area schools at the time and I remember watching as new schools were added, hoping to reconnect with old friends from high school.
I have often thought about how strange it is that what started as a little website for "kids" in Boston ballooned into a website that most of my friends and relatives are on and where I have conference calls dedicated to our advertising strategy for facebook. It's pretty cool when something that is fun can be a part of work, but also more than a part, be impactful.
Though one thing the movie reminded me of is one of my favorite FB applications that no longer exists- you used to be able to put in your classes and see who is in the class- a good way to connect with people on facebook and also to know if you had friends in the class before the first day. But I can see that logistically, that couldn't have continued for every school.and of course I'm not in school so I wouldn't really need it anyway.
The net-net: see The Social Network and work at a cool place like an ad agency where FB, Twitter and the like are a part of a day's work.
Friday, October 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh man, I had totally forgotten about the classes feature!
ReplyDelete