Friday, February 4, 2011

SuperBowl!

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I consider Super Bowl Sunday an actual holiday. The combination of the food and the commercials with a little football thrown in is perfect. And I always make a point to celebrate it- including having a party in the dorm one year where my best dish being served was pizza bagels cooked in the micro portion of the micro-fridge.

This year, for the first time in years, I'm not hosting a party but I am bringing lots of food to my friend's place. Of course I'm making the famous buffalo chicken dip and I have another dip to add to the mix: Popper Spread/Dip. Basically, it tastes like a Jalapeno Popper and you can put the dip on bread, crackers, tortilla chips- pretty much anything and it tastes delicious.

Popper Dip/Spread


2 small cans diced jalapenos (or one jar of rings, drain and chop)
1 small can diced green chilies
2 blocks cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1tsp garlic powder
1 cup of cheese (jalapeno jack, cheddar, Mexican blend, cheddar....really anything works)
Bread crumbs - I recommend panko
Optional: 5 pieces crumbled bacon, I haven't added when I've made this

Combine first 6 ingredients (and bacon if you're using) in a bowl. Spread in a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs, spray top of breadcrumbs with Pam.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 min until bubbly and browned on top. Serve with toasted baguette, tortilla chips, or other cracker/chip.
 
And then my other new favorite party food is what I like to call Deluxe Pigs in a Blanket. (I'm probably not making this for Sunday, but I may just make it for myself next week)
 
First step is to make a spread/sauce. Mix 4 ounces cream cheese (softened) with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish. Cut each crescent roll into thirds, spread the cream cheese mix on part of the crescent and then wrap the dog in pastry. Cook per directions on crescent roll package. Basically, these taste great because the dipping sauce is already built in and the cream cheese helps to keep it thick, not drippy.
 
Sorry- even though deep down I'd love to be a food blogger, I'm not quite there yet, so no pictures to accompany the recipes this time! Enjoy the game, the food, and the commercials!

No comments:

Post a Comment