Monday, May 2, 2011

News Junkie

I've said before that I am a total news junkie. I get fixated on some stories and read all about them. Just in general, I at least scan the headlines every day in all areas so that I have a basic understanding of everything going on in the world, the country, sports, entertainment, etc.

Between the Royal Wedding on Friday and the Osama Bin Laden death Sunday night, I have had a lot of material to digest. But please don't misunderstand; I am not comparing the two except that I want to follow both stories completely.

The Royal Wedding is one of those news stories that is happy, uplifting, filled with beautiful images. I can look at pictures of her dress and read about the toasts at the reception for hours without getting bored. I spent the whole weekend enjoying new nuggets of information about the Duke and Duchess, better understanding royal protocol and flat out enjoying the fairy tale.


The Osama Bin Laden story brings a different reaction. I want to read all about it to learn more, to understand what happened and what this means going forward. I'm happy but in a guarded way. Partly why I follow the news so closely is because I want to be educated and informed and this story has a lot of weight.

Either way, there is a lot of things to read, to digest and to understand and I think both events will be things we talk about for years; our memories of "where were you when" even though the memories are very different reactions and emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment